Tuesday 24 September 2013

24 hours of pleasure and/or pain

Around 25 years ago I heard reports from Yugoslavia of 24 hour blitz events. These were 100 round events, which tested both skill and endurance. 91/100 was one winning score I saw, although I wonder if the 9 points were lost while the player was asleep.
It seems that such traditions continue, with the 31st International Chess Marathon of Saverne. This will be held over the weekend of the 28th & 29th of September in Saverne, France, and will be a 32 round rapid events (G/20m). The report from Chessdom has all the details (if you are in that neck of the woods) including a couple of interesting photos from previous events. At this stage there are 50 entrants, including a couple of GM's,  and I suspect the final entry list will contain plenty more committed souls.

1 comment:

Garvin said...

I wonder if something like this would be of appeal here?