Monday 17 September 2012

No rest for the busy

With the Olympiad barely over, the chess world is already moving on. The first event in the 2012-13 FIDE Grand Prix starts in 3 days at Simpsons-in-the-Strand in London. Each event in the Grand Prix is a 12 player RR. There are 18 players in the cycle, with each player playing 4 out of the 6 tournaments.
The tournaments are being organised by AGON on behalf of FIDE. Andrew Paulson, the man behind Agon, gave a presentation to the FIDE General Assembly which he laid his general vision concerning high level chess. Having just come on board, he didn't promise too much from the first two GP events (Tashkent being the next one), but he said the 2013 will see Agon really begin to market the product.
As for the upcoming event in London, play starts on Friday (20th). Unfortunately the one thing I cannot find is a tournament website, so for now I can only point you to the Agon site, in the hope that more information will become available shortly.

3 comments:

Chris Skulte said...

Thanks for the info Shaun. I might wander on down there once the tournament starts.

Shaun Press said...

Due to the size of the playing area, I think that the spectators area is separate from the playing area. But if you do drop in, tell me how it is (Both the chief arbiter and deputy arbiter are good friends of mine, but I suspect name dropping won't help!)

Chris Skulte said...

Damn, I was going to try the "Let me through on the authority of Shaun Press" line...